Prompt 2 - Cultural Capital

Monday, April 19, 2010

Because I am working at an inner city middle school this semester, I have had the opportunity to work with students from many distinct and diverse sociocultural backgrounds. Rather than make assumptions based on my observations, I’d like to take this opportunity to use some statistics from a reputable information gathering website (For the privacy of my middle school, I will not post the exact web address. It is produced by the Center for School Improvement and Educational Policy in partnership with a state university).

Approximately 74% of the students at my school are eligible for free or reduced lunches, 48% are Hispanic, 22% are African-American, 21% are White, and 9% are Asian. From this data, I can shatter the first assumption that the public has about inner city schools: they aren’t always filled with students from African-American ethnicity. It might not be the ideal diversity mosaic with 48% being Hispanic, but it is a far cry from the middle school that I attended which has a student body made up of 98% White students.

What kind of cultural capital does one gain by providing a cultural mosaic for students to be a part of during the educational process? This is a loaded question in the field of pedagogy, with many interpretations and feelings surrounding it. First, I’d like to define by what I mean by the term “cultural capital.” By cultural capital, I’m referring to the metaphorical spending power that an ethnic heritage has within a society. But that definition in and of itself I feel is too narrow; let us not look just at the race and ethnicity of the students but also their social class, their gender, their sexual orientation, their religion and faith, their physical and mental abilities or disabilities. Cultural in contemporary society is a broad term, and therefore, should be handled with delicacy as to not fall into the trap that culture is something that can be immediately seen at the first glance of a person.

The first, and maybe most straightforward benefit (or disadvantage, depending on a persons view point) is the diverse linguistics that a cultural mosaic can provide. One war happening right now in the field of pedagogy is the debate over whether or not classrooms should be “English Only.” I happen to believe that if critical thinking has been developed in a student, then it does not matter what language the skill has been developed in – it can be transferred over to English. Notice that I don’t say that our cultural doesn’t need English (I’d be crazy to say that as an English major), but that other languages can be just as beautiful as English, and that language is a corner stone of a persons ethnic heritage.

Secondly, a diverse classroom setting allows students to see difference in a positive light. Students can either be fascinated by difference or live in an alienated fear of it and public school helps to shape these views. At no point should it be made invisible, nor should it be made to seem inferior either. Difference is the term where I turn culture up on to its head for some readers, so to be explicit, I mean difference in every possible sense of the word: students need to be made aware that there is difference is language, in skin color, in gender, in rich and poor and everything in between, difference in faiths, difference in politics, difference in the way that people think, and mostly importantly, that difference is an intimate relationship between systems of power in society and identification of the self. Therefore, no ones difference is a crime, rather it is a gift that everyone can learn from and should be valued as such.

1 comments:

Jamie Miller said...

Hi Kevin,
I thought that your insight about the concept of difference. It is true that difference in people is not just defined by race, but there is difference in all aspects of a person - skin color, interests, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, socioeconomic status, and even likes and dislikes. Your school's statistics are similar to mine in the fact that my school is made up of mostly Hispanic students.
You made an interesting comment when you said that that the English language was beautiful, like other languages. I have taken Italian for five years and speak Italian with my sister and boyfriend sometimes, just to practice. When I was learning the language, I thought it was beautiful, and it is interesting to think that maybe people who speak languages other than English could think the English language is beautiful. The English language is so hard to learn. Because I grew up with the language surrounding me, it comes naturally to me. When I learned Italian it was really difficult, but with practice not only at school but also at home I was able to better my skills. Thinking about it, this is what these kids might have to come through. One of my students speaks Spanish fluently at home and can read better in Spanish, but truly struggles in English. He cannot practice his English at home if there is no one home who understands it and who can help him. It does not mean that the parents do not care, it just means that they can only do so much. A child's native language should not be diminished or looked upon as wrong or forgotten, A students language, like anything that makes up that student, is special and is a part of his/her history.